Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What do I really need?

I've got a group going on Facebook for folks I'm encouraging to take part in the Toronto Island Try-a-tri with me this year. This was the first triathlon I ever took part in, and for the people in the group it's their first triathlon also. (Do feel free to join the group even if you're not going to do the race, but want some training encouragement none the less!). I posted an article up there a few days ago about the gear you need for doing a triathlon, thinking this may help out a few people to start thinking about what they've got, and what they may need to invest in before August. After reading a blog post from one of my committed followers (committed meaning I know she's registered for the race already!) I figured it may be useful to the others doing their first try-a-tri to know what you don't actually need to stress about!

As this race was my first triathlon, and I didn't know anyone else who'd actually done one of these races last year all my knowledge gathering and learning was online. I was so stressed about the transitions I'd play them over in my head over and over when I should have been sleeping. I spent hours on Youtube watching videos of other triathletes doing transitions, and what they were wearing and why. I spent hours in running shoe stores figuring out what was the best for me - and then spent weeks touring every running shop in the local area looking for elastic no-tie laces because that's what all the triathlon websites told me I needed... Oh, and the bike, I knew I wasn't going to spend a fortune, so make that another few hours, who am I kidding, weeks on Craigslist looking for something better than my pretty bike with a basket that I used to get groceries!

In the end none of that mattered. For the length of the this race you could wear your swimsuit for the entire race - or just pull on a pair of quick-drying shorts after the swim if you need to. The bike ride itself is only 10K - it's over in no time flat. You don't need padded bike shorts for 10K, nor do you need clip pedals. There were many people out there last year on their mountain bikes with knobbly tires - yes they were slower, but they were still getting it done! I was there on my $20 garage sale special 1980's road bike and running shoes and it all worked out just fine. Heck, I was passing folks on much nicer bikes than mine!

And well, the run - it's 2.5K. I decided 2 months before this race that I was going to do it, and the only running I'd done leading up to that was a few interval workouts on the treadmill at the gym - and I hated them. I was still 50lbs over my goal weight when I did this race, and I still got it done. I was running with a woman for a bit who looked significantly fitter than I was at the time, at the end of my second loop on the run course I was surprised to see her loop back again - this woman who was outwardly fitter than me was half of the run course behind me.

The real list of what you need is:
Goggles
Swim Suit
Running Shoes (& socks if you need)
Bike
Bike Helmet (They won't let you race without one)
Towel (somewhere to put your stuff, and dry your feet after the swim)
Water Bottle w/ water - even then, water and energy drinks are available on the run course, I just kept mine on my bike and only used it in transition.
race belt (it's a bit of elastic that your race number attaches to - round the back for the bike, and swing it round the front for the run - much easier than safety pins on the t-shirt!)

That's it... The race gives you a swim cap, so you don't even have to worry about that. You can add sunglasses into that list if you want - I used them more as bug-out-of-the-eyes protection than for the sun. Even a cap for the run isn't too necessary - it's an early morning race, and the sun isn't anywhere near overhead by the time we're running.

I stressed way too much about all this last year, but then again the first race is a bit daunting. I completed in just under an hour last year - and I know I can better than this year - but it's good to remember that this is a try-a-tri, not an Ironman - it's designed for first timers new to the sport. Everyone putting on this event wants you to enjoy yourself out there, and not get stressed about it - even other competitors on the course are really encouraging. I've done several road races since this, and by far the best experience was this try-a-tri for it's organization, support, and general camaraderie. This race was the impetus for me being signed up to do 4 more triathlons this summer, and many more in the future I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment