Thursday, March 11, 2010

It's merely a flesh wound...

So I got my bike fitting today. We've gone with a relaxed fit for the moment, until I get used to the bike and need a more aggressive fit for more power - and I'm just fine with that! I knew I had to get some running in today also, so seeing as the gym was around the corner from the bike shop I went and did a few intervals on the treadmill (which actually went really well) and then ventured out for a first go on the bike.

We went through how to get into and out of clip pedals in the store - of course this isn't a big deal when your bike is stabilized for you - this task gets a bit more daunting when you're out there on your own steam! I decided to play it safe getting onto the bike, and walked into a park in the residential area to get on the bike - amazing this all went well with no issues at all. It's quite a hilly area and I was amazed at how easy it was to just push through the hills - getting power on the pull as well as the push is a novel concept for me! So probably a bit full of joy at this realization I figured I'd ride home from here - only catch being that there was a major road between me and my quiet road home. I knew the theory of pushing out to the side to release the clip, and had done it on a stable bike in the shop, but not in practice yet... didn't help that the first time doing this is at the intersection of the major road at the top of a hill, so I wasn't able to coast into my stop - you can see what's coming here can't you...

Thankfully only one person saw this happen and was kind enough to ask if I was ok, rather than just stand there laughing at the whole situation. I landed palm first, so a bit of road rash on the palm, and a bit achy through the arm now (I know, not the smartest way to land either...) but apart from a bit of scratching on the side of the pedal the bike is unscathed (Huge sigh of relief there!), and I'll keep playing over the voice of the bike shop guy, that everyone falls their first time using clip pedals.... if you tell me you didn't I'll simply assume you're lying to make myself feel better!

It didn't discourage me enough to stop me getting back on again though - on the other side of the road of course! The ride home was easy, and with a down-hill coming to my house I was able to think a bit more clearly for this second un-clipping, and it went off without a hitch this time.

So, now I'm all learned in the ways of falling and not falling off a bike... oh boy, I'm never going to hear the end of this from Ian, my husband - he still hasn't let me forget falling off my bike coming out of the bike transition in last year's triathlon.... maybe there's hope yet for him to be kind! (Not likely - I know what I'd do if I were him!) :-)

3 comments:

  1. Ummm, maybe if it does help, I needed stitches one of the first times I rode with clipless pedals. I got cut on the back of my leg either by the chai or something else that's sharp... that sucked. I've learned to just look ahead to the light, anticipated if it'll be turning yellow or red, and unclip both if I feel more comfortable. Glad you only ended up with a bit of road rash. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I'm glad you're okay. And I'm sure you're in a long line of professional bikers who started off that way too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're OK!! But yeah, everyone falls!....

    I hope ride #2 goes better!! ;)

    ReplyDelete