Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thinking about Next Summer's Races...


The local series of triathlons have their event schedules up for the 2010 races. Last year I did my first triathlon, the HSBC try-a-tri on Toronto Island - it was a 400m swim, 10k bike and 2.5k run, and all that took me under an hour to do. My run was awful in that race looking at my times again - 20 minutes to do 2.5k... I know I could smoke that now! I was also learning about what competing was all about, and while I was physically and mentally prepared for that race, I didn't know enough about getting the right nutrients into my body before and during the race, so as a result my run was awful. I know I'm going to do the same Toronto Island try-a-tri again to compare against last year, but I also want to do some longer distances this year just to see how far I can push myself.

The first one I'll be looking at is a tri in Welland that's 750m swim, 30k bike and 7.5k run - the swim is the same as a sprint distance, but the bike and run are a tad longer (according to this wikipedia article!). This race is at the end of June which should have given me enough time in decent weather to get outside biking rather than inside on a stationary bike - I have no problem running on a treadmill, but more than about 10 minutes on a stationary bike and I'm ready to cry tears of boredom! (I will be trying a spinning class soon though, so more on that when that comes to pass!). With the swim being in the Welland canal also, I'm assuming (*hoping!*) the water temperature is warm enough to not require a wetsuit - I'm just not excited about wearing a wetsuit to swim, nor the thought of having to wiggle out of the thing in transition!

The Toronto Island tri is in August again, and then the big goal is an Olympic distance tri - that's a 1500m swim, 40k bike and 10k run. Specifically I'm looking at the Wasaga beach Olympic distance race. I know that part of the world is relatively flat, if there's any grade it won't be insane and it should be a scenic area also, so should keep me entertained - that 10k run at the end though sounds mighty threatening right now! I know I can physically run 10k without the swim and bike before it right now, so I don't think this is a ridiculous goal for this race in early September 2010 - right?

That's 3 triathlons over the summer then - only missing out July, but I think with what I'm going to need to do for the Olympic distance it's probably best to keep July open so I can focus on training.

I know I'm going to throw a few runs in during the spring also - there's Harry's spring Run Off 8K and the Sporting Life 10k I've got my eye on - yes, I am graduating from the 5k races... if all goes to plan the Scotiabank marathon may be my first half-marathon next year - assuming I don't find the distance longer than what will bring me to tears of boredom!

Wow that's looking busy... and hopefully attainable... it's good to have goals right?

No comments:

Post a Comment