Thursday, May 6, 2010

Back to basics

It's been nearly a week since I completed my first 10k, so it's given me some time to think about how it went. While the first half went really well, at the 5k mark there was the need to join the queue for the porta-loo and it didn't get any better from there on in with cramping forcing me to walk the majority of the second half of the race, finally coming in with a time of 1:18 when I'd expected to be just under the hour mark.

Obviously this was quite frustrating, and after doing some reading I'm going back to basics. Theory is that while my cardiovascular is all up for running 10k, apparently my internal systems don't agree with being shaken up that much! So here we go, back to short and gradual - On Saturday I'm starting out with a 1k run, and I'll increase it 0.1km every day to try and teach my body about getting shaken up and learning to just deal with it a bit more gracefully than it did last weekend! Ian says he's going to join me on my running build-up to help his with his preparation for his duathlon in July, so that should be fun :-)

Still, road races are done for a bit now, it's triathlon season! Still with a bit of running, but I'm looking forward to getting something else in there - and especially getting that new shiny bike out for it's first race!

2 comments:

  1. It was so great to meet you last weekend!! I'm glad your group was wearing the same shirts as they did for Harry's! :D Sounds like you have a great plan, and I'm sure I'll see you at some local triathlons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timing and training is everything, you body will adapt to the training!

    ReplyDelete