Wednesday, August 4, 2010

National Capital Sprint Triathlon

Well, another race weekend gone by, and another triathlon completed! Ian and I travelled to Ottawa to take part in the National Capital events - me in the sprint triathlon, and him in the sprint duathlon - his first duathlon ever! We'd both set a time of 90 minutes as a goal finishing time, and both managed to beat that time! Ian beating it by 5 minutes, while I beat it by 2 minutes. I'm quite pleased to see another 5 second per 100m come off my swim time and a whole 30 seconds per km come off my run time! I know I can do better in the swim also - I misjudged where I started from in the pack and was reasonably far back and spent the entire swim finding my way around other people's feet - the race started the men off 5 minutes before the women's pack, and I managed to pass some of the men in the water. There's nothing like the boost you get from passing the guys when you've started that far behind them - even if they are very splashy swimmers and what was supposed to be your gulp of air turns into a mouthful of water... still lessons learnt! The Toronto Island try-a-tri is coming up in under 2 weeks now, so at I know for that one, get into the front of the pack for the swim, and hold it there! I'm going to be training on intervals from now until then - this is the race I need to eek out as much speed as I can in to be in with a chance of winning the grand prize from 7SYSTEMS. The goal is for at least 7% off last year's time - I've got designs on a percentage much higher than that... always the overachiever and all ;-)

I won't be on my own out on the Toronto Island course either - I've been hearing a lot from folks over the past 18 months about how I've inspired them, and a few are putting their money where their mouth is and joining me in the Toronto Island try-a-tri. I've written more about this on the SUGOI Brand Champions Blog.

With any luck I should have some nice big numbers to post here after August 14th with the try-a-tri results!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck in this race Andrina. It's Luke from the 7 Systems contest. I'm actually going to be doing the Sprint Race on Sunday. It will be my first Multisport Canada race this year, so I hope to have a good (and fast) race.

    Go get that 7%+ and win this thing!! I have little chance of going sub 4:41 in Ironman Muskoka 70.3 this fall, but I'll do what I can! I'm hoping to get a spot for Clearwater at that race.

    Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Luke! The Toronto Island is a good race, very flat, very fast, lots of shade, and no cars to worry about! I'm doing the Wasaga Olympic the day before your 70.3, we were thinking about coming to watch the Muskoka race in fact... Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete